Nishikant Barodekar: The Tabla Wizard
Nishikant is emerging as a front ranking Musician in the Indian Music Scenario today. Music has been his natural inheritance as he imbibed it from his grandmother, the legendary vocalist Smt. HIRABAI BARODEKAR.
During the initial guidance from Ust.Ghulam Rasool Khan in the Delhi, Ajrada & Farukkhabad styles, he was a recipient of the Indian National Scholarship for 3 years. Later he was most fortunate to receive advance ‘Taalim’ from the World famous Tabla Maestros USTAD ALLARAKHA & USTAD ZAKIR HUSSAIN.
Being accepted as a ‘GandaBandh Shagird’ by Khansaheb & receiving his keen and abundant training in the Punjab Gharana Gurukul style, Nishikant has developed an imaginative and aesthetical sense which is distinguished for its finesse in rhythm, versatility and eloquence. The remarkable depth in his Tabla Solo or accompaniment with Instrumentalists, Vocalists, Dancers, Carnatic artists, Fusion ; speaks of the discipline and dedication with which this talented musician has pursued music.
He has performed in USA, Canada, Japan, England, Germany, France, Russia, Hungary, Holland, Italy, Turkey, Spain, Malaysia, Middle Eastern & many European countries besides Indian Music festivals. Being an ‘A’ Graded Artist, he regularly performs on All India Radio and National TV. He has recorded with Indian and Western musicians of repute, for some Hollywood films like Miss Beaty’s Children, 39 Steps to Heaven & major Bollywood films like Devdas, Saaz. He has accompanied celebrities like Ust. Vilayat Khan, Pt. Birju Maharaj, Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, Pt. Jasraj, Ust. Amjad Ali Khan, Ust. Shadid Parvez, to name a few, besides his own Guru Ust. Zakir Hussain.
Teaching Music is also his forte & he has been a Visiting Professor to Universities in USA, Europe and Japan. Presently he is working with the Sri Satya Sai Mirpuri College of Music in Puttaparthi.
Achievements and Accomplishments:-
• Recipient of the “ TAAL-MANI “ Award from Sur-Singar Parishad, Mumbai.
• Graded “ A “ by Govt of India.
• Received First class in the ‘Alankar in Tabla’
• Over 25 years of experience as a Professional Artist, both Soloist and Accompanist.
• Conferred with the title of ‘ LAYA-SHIROMANI ’ at the Hindustani Music Festival, Chennai.
• Participated in the Diplomatic International Cultural Exchange programmes that celebrated Festival of India in many countries such as Russia, Germany, Hungary, France, UK, Austria, Holland and USA.
• Has been a visiting faculty for various leading Universities in Europe, Japan and USA.
• Has recorded for entire film songs and background for many films that won international and national acclaim.
• Hindi Films: Devdas, Agnivarsha, Saaz.
• Hollywood Films: Miss Beaty’s Children, 39 Steps to Heaven.
CD, Albums & Media releases :
1) Art of the Sitar with Ust. Shahid Parvez & Nishikant Barodekar.
2) The Elements Space India Today Music Series with
Ust. Zakir Hussain.
3) Ustad Salamat Ali Khan accompanied by
Shri. Nishikant Barodekar & Ustad Sultan Khan—HMV- CD .
4) Album ‘TABLA MOMENTS‘ (Collection of Live Concerts clips)
Has accompanied Legends such as:-
Pt Bhimsen Joshi Ust Vilayat Khan
Ust Salamat Ali Khan Vidvan M.S. Gopalkrishnan
Pt Jasraj Begum Parveen Sultan
Pt Birju Maharaj Ust Shahid Parvez
Ust. Munnavar Ali Pt Vasantrao Deshpande
Ust Zakir Hussain LalgudiJayaraman
Accompanied International Stars such as :-
• Larry Coreal
• BabaTunje OlaTunje
• Billy Cobham
• John McLaughlin(World famous Guitarist)
Presently performs with top artistes of the current generation such as
• Mandolin U. Srinivas
• Niladri Kumar
• Rakesh Chaurasia
• Ulhas Bapat
• Shujat Khan
• Irshad Khan
• Taufiq Qureshi
• Malladi bros
• Sashwati Sen
Leave a Reply